Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Another one bites the (silicon) dust

From 13 March 2012, and after 244 uninterrupted years of being in print, the Encyclopaedia Britannica (EB) moved to an all-digital online format. I have many fond memories of reading EB. I still remember the occasion when I came across the article on Einstein and read those wonderful words that the anonymous author quoted from him explaining his total commitment to physics over politics (he had just been offered the presidency of the state of Israel): "Politics are for the moment. Equations are for eternity." I've never forgotten that, thanks to EB.

But onwards and upwards (we hope). As part of the launch, the all-new digital EB is completely free for one week. Let me see if the new online article on Einstein is just as good as the print version of old...

No comments: