Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A little-navel gazing

In the very first post on this blog in January 2006, I posed the following question:
[Is] this [blog] really just another instance of self-indulgent online narcissism?
And this is how I answered it:
No, this really isn't just another instance of self-indulgent online narcissism. I hope to cover a great many other topics besides those surrounding the individual yours truly refers to by the vertical pronoun. Naturally, a little navel-gazing will be unavoidable from time to time, but even then I hope it will be free of the odour of self-indulgence. One can but try. We'll see.

Today is one of those unavoidable times for a little navel-gazing, for today is my birthday. And, so, I am here contemplating the meaning of life, the Universe and everything.

Well, almost everything.

I'm currently contemplating the nice little gift Arsenal FC gave me a few minutes ago: a one-nil victory over AS Roma in the Champions League. But such gifts from Arsenal are rarely an unalloyed joy. They missed some golden chances; chances they may rue when they travel to Rome for the return leg.

My final thoughts and prayers are with the only one of my heroes (as far as I'm aware) who shares my birthday: Steve Jobs. I wish him well in his current battle with ill-health.

Odourless navel-gazing I trust.

No comments: